2019 Ohio Electric Cooperatives (OEC) Technical Scholarship
- Applicants must be residential members of an Ohio electric cooperative, or dependent children, or legal wards of permanent residential electric cooperative members receiving electric service at the time of application.
- Applicants may be high school graduates enrolling in a technical program; current technical school enrollees; or students enrolling in a post-undergraduate technical program. Applicants must plan to attend or currently attend an accredited technical school program.
- Applicants must have cumulative grade point averages of 2.5 or above on a 4.0 scale, or the equivalent standing on nontraditional scales. High school GPAs shall be used for applicants who have not yet begun a program, while technical school GPAs shall be used for applicants currently enrolled in programs.
- Applications for OEC’s competition must be typed and submitted on forms furnished by OEC. Scholarship applications must be received by OEC by the last day in April each year.
- Application information must be confined to the official nomination form. The only attachments permitted are high school transcripts, proof of enrollment*in a program, typed essay responses, and one 500-word letter of recommendation from an instructor.
- Essays: Applicants are required to complete two brief essays (250-word max each) (A) detailing their educational and career goals; and (B) discussing cooperative knowledge per the online orientation. Applicants must complete the essays without outside assistance. Applicants shall refer to the www.ohioec.org/orientation to complete the cooperative knowledge essay.
- Applicants who have received “full-ride” scholarships (tuition, room, board, and books) to the schools of their choice are not eligible for OEC scholarships.
- Applicants who have won other scholarships from OEC or affiliated organizations in other scholarship competitions (not including the local co-op) are not eligible to win this competition.
- Applicants whose immediate family members are (or reside in the households of) trustees, managers, distribution cooperative employees, OEC or affiliated organizations’ (Ohio Rural Electric Cooperatives, Buckeye Power, RESCO, etc.) employees are not eligible.
- All scholarships must be accepted in the first academic year after proof of enrollment* is received by OEC. However, an extension of one year may be granted for just cause in the judgment of the president of OEC. In the event applicants are unable to fulfill their enrollment obligation under this program, awards are forfeited.
- *Accepted proofs of enrollment include: a copy of a tuition bill, an official course schedule, or an official program transcript.
For more information, please visit: https://ohioec.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Ohios-Electric-Cooperatives-Technical-Scholarship-Rules.pdf
Deadline: Scholarship must be received by OEC by the last day in April - April 30, 2019.